Project: Autohelm linear drive check

When be bought olivone she had all of the original technical stuff, basically nothing had been swapped out (everything was working but really old). There where even some strange old GPS-system (Philips branded) that just could show coordinates. We still have the old casette tape player mounted (will be taken out of commision as soon as i find something nice to cover the hole with). One of the things that we refitted was the old autohelm auto.pilot system. We choosed a new Raymarine system and the only reason for that was that they still use the same linear drive unit and by that we could use the old unit as a spare part (took 5 minutes to swap it). On the really old drive units Autohelm was using a plastic gearbox that could be worn down (there are replacement kits with steel gears availeable). SO i decided to take the ols drive apart to check the status of the gearbox and this is the results of that. Even if the gearbox was made of platics it looked to be in good condition so i just cleaned it from a little bit of dust and assembled it again.

dav
dav
dav
dav

Project: Featherstream anodes

We need to change the anode for the Featherstream propeller at least every other year. Darglow engineering which is the company that made the prop is also the only manufacturer of anondes, Darglow is a really good company and i did get really good help from them when i bought the propeller. The anodes are custom made to fit the propeller:

These are really expensive ones about 50 Eur each with shipping cost from UK to Sweden. I found other anodes at a local hardware store that with a little tuning will fit perfectly, cost per anode about 11 Eur.

dav
dav

Project: new cockpit floor

The old cockpit floor hade done it’s job (probably from where the boat was new in 1991). Last summer it started to fall apart.

cof

I started to look around for alternatives, find something similar that could be used (a new copy would probably cost around 1000 Eur). No luck with that so i started to look for which material to use (ordinary teak costs about 50 Eur per meter), at the end i found a material named “Guyana teak”, went to the lumber yard to take a look at it, looked really good and i went with that (10 Eur per meter). This is the result:

cof

Total cost was about 80 Euro and about 8 hours of work.